Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Heart for Missions

Jesus said, "Then the King will say to those on the right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the Kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you fed me. I was thirsty, and you gave me a drink. I was a stranger, and you invited me into your home. I was naked and you gave me clothing. I was sick, and you cared for me. I was in prison, and you visited me.' Then these righteous will reply,'Lord when did we ever see you hungry and feed you? Or thirsty and give you something to drink? Or a stranger and show you hospitality? Or naked and give you clothing? When did we ever see you sick or in prison and visit you?' And the King will tell them, 'I assure you when you did it to one of the least of these my brothers and sisters, you were doing it to me!'" Matthew 25:34-40.

As we enter the season of Lent, are we striving towards the goal of seeking the resurrected Christ and to become more like Him? I am so impressed with my Sunday school class. Our facilitator has challenged us to see where we are in providing service to the church and to Christ. Our class has responded with a resounding "yes" we want to be the hands and feet of Jesus here in our community all year long not just at Christmas time. We have started a food collection for a local food pantry. Also, we are taking up an offering each week to donate to the church. The church will use the funds to help a local family in need, which could be a family in the midst of our congregation. Additionally, two of our members have faithfully been helping with "Deliver Me" senior services which delivers groceries to needy elderly in the city who are not able to get out and go to the store on their own. It is an income based need program. The rest of our class is getting involved to help deliver either monthly or quarterly.

While the above are only small sacrifices of funds or time, it will impact our community positively. No gift of service is too small. May we all seek the resurrected Christ and His call for us to be His hands and feet in our communities. Oh, how I long to one day hear Him say, "Well done good and faithful servant."

Jesus, what sacrifices are you asking from me during this season of Lent? What do I need to give up? What do I need to embrace. Where do you want me to serve so that the reserrected Christ reaches the lost, hurting, hungry, thirsty, ill and lonely?

Heather Deaton

1 comment:

  1. Puts things into light...I was crying earlier today as I opened my electric statement, it averages about 250.00 a month, well for 12/21-1/21 it was 700.00. I know I was crying out of anger and frustration. "Just can't seem to get ahead" I told my husband. We are blessed that we can pay it, instead of it going on "Wants". Your post brought to light all those people in my community that will not be able to pay their bill and will be without service. Karnes Electric Co-op demands large deposits from the people it serves.

    Ready to get pro-active

    ReplyDelete