Thursday, April 15, 2010

Where do you find joy?

"This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it." Psalm 118:24.

Each new day is a new opportunity. We get a choice of how we will spend the day and we determine how we will feel about our circumstances and those around us. I am not discounting raw human emotion. We have feelings, but how will we respond to those feelings?

Joy that is offered by God is not a matter of emotion or circumstance. It is a matter of choice. I can choose to seek God daily. I can choose to live in the joy of His many promises. This life is not the totality of my existence; therefore, may it not dictate my reactions to the struggles, challenges, and unpleasantness that I encounter. We have joy because of the hope of eternal life through Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins and His resurrection. He promises that I am loved, forgiven, and free. “So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. For the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you through Christ Jesus from the power of sin that leads to death.” Romans 8:1-2 (NLT). This promise alone should cause our imperfect human hearts to leap with joy.

Let us be mindful that, “all who seek the Lord will praise him. Their hearts will rejoice with everlasting joy.” Psalm 22:26 (NLT)

My prayer especially for me, but also for you is that “God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit.” Romans 15:13 (NLT).

Prayer: Jesus, help me to enter into daily relationship with you, receive your peace and embrace your joy so that I can stand firm in your truths and rejoice in your unfailing steadfast love.

It is time again for the devotion carnival. For more devotions on joy visit Rachel Olsen's blog by clicking here Rachel Olsen: Devotional Carnival - JOY
.

Heather S. Deaton

4 comments:

  1. I love your point that joy is a choice. Such a great truth. And it really speaks to me, as even after writing and reading about joy today, I was not so good at showing my joy tonight to my poor husband when I got frustrated. Thank you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joy is a choice. And we should make it a priority. I was reminded as I read through the other devotionals, that we should be joyful in all circumstances! Because we belong to Christ. And like you said, we have eternal life through Him. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is bedrock truth: "We have joy because of the hope of eternal life through Jesus Christ’s sacrifice for our sins and His resurrection. He promises that I am loved, forgiven, and free."

    When we drive back down to what is eternally true, we find hope and joy lies there, like diamonds in the dirt. :)

    Thanks for sharing this! ~ Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for all the sweet comments and for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete