Monday, September 17, 2012

This year I renewed my football season ticket for my college alma mater. Last Saturday was the opening home football game for the 2012-2013 season. We sit on the vistitor's side on the 5th row behind the visiting football team. This location is attractive to hecklers. I have never understood the need to heckle the visiting players sitting the bench. What does that get you? What ran through my mind was what does this say about the University or our State when fans are rude to the opposing team's players just because they play for the opposing team. I also wondered if these same people go to church the next day? Contrast that a different experience. It was a fall Saturday football game in Linoln Nebraska in 2004. My husband and I were there cheering on the visiting team and proudly wearing our team's colors. We were expected to lose, but somehow managed to win. My husband and I were surrounded by Nebraska fans as we left the stadium. There fans contragulated us on our team's win and said they deserved to win because they played better. Other fans also helped us find the parking garage were we parked. Everyone was friendly. We left with nothing but positive things to say about Lincoln, Nebraska. This is the way with life. Sometimes we are the hecklers and sometimes we are hospitable. "You Pharisees are so careful to clean the outside of the cup and the dish, but inside you are still filthy-full of greed and wickedness! Fools! Didn't God make the inside as well as the outside? So give to the needy what you greedily possess, and you will be clean all over. But how terrible it will be for you Pharisees! For you are careful to tithe even the tiniest part of your income, but you completely forget about justice and the love of God. You should tithe, yes, but you should not leave undone the most important things." Luke 11:39-42.

No comments:

Post a Comment